Pilot and Feasibility Awards
The purpose of the University of Washington (UW) Clinical Learning, Evidence And Research (CLEAR) Center for Musculoskeletal Disorders’ Pilot and Feasibility Program is to foster early-stage investigators interested in musculoskeletal research. Investigators can receive up to $20,000 (direct costs) over one year for faculty/staff effort and/or the purchase of services and supplies. This funding opportunity is limited to faculty investigators at the UW.
- UW investigators focused on musculoskeletal research
- All UW faculty, although preference for early-stage investigators (i.e., no prior extramural R01-type funding)
- Applications limited to one per investigator
- Limited to $20,000 in direct costs over one year
- CLEAR Center Core services, personnel effort, benefits, and consultant time as well as materials, services and/or supplies. Budget must include anticipated costs
- Applicants encouraged to pursue matching funds with their home department
Applications will only be accepted through the CLEAR Center Application Portal. Applicants will receive email confirmation upon receipt of their application. (Please note: you are not able to save and return to your application. Please complete only when you are ready to submit your application.)
Application components are outlined below. Templates should be used and are available for individual download below or as an application package.
- Cover page, including project title and abstract (250 word maximum)
- 2- page research plan (template)
- Budget (template)
- Budget Justification (template)
- NIH formatted Biosketch for investigators (senior/key personnel)
- If institutional commitment is offered, a letter of support from the department chair is required.
All proposals will undergo peer review through the CLEAR Center Internal Steering Committee members, and potentially select members of the National Advisory Board and external content experts. Applications will be scored based on the domains of Significance and Innovation, Approach, Environment, Investigators, and Strategic Relevance to the CLEAR Center’s Mission. Reviewers will specifically be looking for proposals that:
- Increase applicants’ competitiveness for subsequent extramural funding
- Lay the groundwork for a future clinical trial
- Are likely to lead to a peer-reviewed publication
- Utilize the CLEAR Center’s core resources and services
In 2017, NIH/ National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases(NIAMS) awarded to the UW a P30 grant (1P30AR072572) to establish the UW CLEAR Center for Musculoskeletal Disorders. The CLEAR Center’s mission is to improve the health of patients with musculoskeletal conditions by providing scientifically rigorous methods and resources for clinical research towards a learning healthcare system. The CLEAR Center’s Pilot & Feasibility Program exists to develop the next generation of musculoskeletal researchers.
Applications open: February 15, 2019
Application deadline: March 31, 2019
Awards announced: May 1, 2019
Project dates: Aug 1, 2019 – July 31, 2020
Please note: you are not able to save and return to your application. Please complete only when you are ready to submit your application.
Questions about the application criteria or process? Contact us.